The chassis of the 1913 Oxford was too short to permit a 4 seat variant. Recognising the potential demand, Morris took the decision in 1914 to produce a 4 seater car, the Cowley, to complement the two seat Oxford.
The Cowley was the second production model produced by W.R.M Motors Ltd and not only featured a longer chassis but also a larger engine than the Oxford. Many of the components for the Cowley, including the engine, were sourced from the USA. Delivery of parts was sporadic, with supplies being disrupted by World War One action. About 1350 models were produced in either 2 or 4 seater variants.
|1917 Cowley||(Photo – Jim Riglar)|
|This car is in the Haynes International Motor Museum collection – Sparkford|
|Coupé||Delivery Van||Engine: Continental Type U 11.9hp.
Clutch: Dry – Ferodo lined plates.
Gear Box: Three speed
Back to vehicles index
The Pre 1940 Morris Register Limited © 2019 | Registered in England No. 7334633: 5 Burderop Close, Trowbridge, Wiltshire BA14 0UL | VAT No. 103 5625 48
Site by T3D