1926-31 Z 25/30 cwt

Introduction

The Z-type commercial went into production in May 1926. This was the first Morris commercial vehicle produced with a bespoke designed engine, the earlier Morris T & L commercials having used engines already in production for the contemporary Morris Oxford and Cowley cars.

Six variants were produced – four on a chassis with a standard wheel base of 10ft 2ins (25 or 30 cwt load capacity and both with rear or four wheel brake options) and two on chassis with a long wheel base 11ft 6ins (30 cwt load capacity or passenger chassis, both with four wheel brakes). The bulk of the production was from 1926 to 1928, with small numbers produced subsequently between 1929 and 1931.

A few 10ft 2ins wheel base chassis were also produced as Motor Fire Pumps and designated as Type F.

WX 3328

1927 Z (Photo – Tom Bourne MBE)
At the HCVC Rally, City Hall, Cardiff – 1980
VARIANT Z1 Z2 Z3 Z4 Z5 Z6
1926

1931
Chassis
(Wheelbase)
10ft
2ins
10ft
2ins
10ft
2 ins
10ft
2ins
11ft
6ins
11ft
6ins

Engine: Morris Z 2514cc, 15.9hp (RAC), 4 cylinder side valve.

Clutch: Single dry plate.

Gear Box: Four speed

Ignition: Magneto

Load
Capacity
25 cwt 25 cwt 30 cwt 30 cwt Passenger 30 cwt
Brakes Rear
Wheel
Four
Wheel
Rear
Wheel
Four
Wheel
Four
Wheel
Four
Wheel

  Back to vehicles index

26 Jan 15